Level E Samples:
Reading Complete: Level E Overview
This self-paced reading program is designed to help young readers continue to develop confidence in reading with comprehension. It combines phonics and sight word recognition skills to teach a child how to read fluently and expressively. The daily lessons incorporate the use of flashcards, games, activities, and independent written practice.
The child will continue to learn to read long vowel words, words with consonant blends, words with double vowels, words with prefixes and suffixes, contractions, compounds, and sight words within context. He will continue to alphabetize words, identify homophones, divide words into syllables, make singular words plural, and identify synonyms and antonyms. He will learn to recognize and write abbreviations, root words, onomatopoeias, and a friendly letter. He will also learn to recognize cause and effect relationships, use verbal and nonverbal communication, differentiate between fact and opinion, use logic to solve a problem, follow three-step oral directions, and understand a parody and a proverb.
- Read short and long vowel words.
- Read words with consonant blends, double vowels, prefixes, and suffixes.
- Apply spelling and phonics concepts through written practice.
- Write sentences using proper spacing between letters.
- Recognize sight words within context.
- Identify and use words that rhyme, start, or end with the same sound.
- Use word recognition skills and strategies to read and comprehend text.
- Demonstrate evidence of literal and inferential comprehension.
- Understand literature written in a variety of genres.
- Develop listening comprehension and the ability to retell a story.
- Read orally with fluency and inflection.
- Demonstrate the ability to express ideas.
- Write clearly and effectively.
- Analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of written work.
- Understand that quotation marks are used to show the words someone has said.
- Understand how to use a period, question mark, exclamation mark, comma, and quotation marks in writing.
- Understand and correctly use singular and plural words.
- Add a suffix to a word.
- Understand how to write and use possessive nouns.
- Identify homophones.
- Identify and use pronouns.
- Recognize the use of possessive pronouns.
- Understand and recognize a synonym and antonym.
- Arrange words in alphabetical order.
- Recognize, write, and use contractions.
- Recognize compound words.
- Decode words by breaking them into syllables.
- Write a riddle.
- Tell a story using a variety of descriptive words.
- Record events on a timeline.
- Listen and follow directions.
- Read directions and follow a recipe.
- Understand how to read and make compound words.
- Memorize and recite a Bible passage.
- Make a diorama to display the characters in a story.
- Learn about an artist and her works of art.